[NSRCA-discussion] Electric/IC ...was Arming Plug/Receptacle Problem

Doug Cronkhite seefo at san.rr.com
Mon Feb 9 18:54:11 AKST 2009

Atwood, Mark wrote:

The only rules change that really should be considered for AMA is to
raise the weight limit by 1 pound so people who can't afford $4000 for
an airframe can more easily get whatever propulsion choice they decide
upon to make weight. The more difficult you make it for people to join
the club, the smaller the club gets.

I don't really see the rules actually favoring either side at the moment..

Glow is easier to make weight. Electric never changes weight in flight
so less apt to trim changes.
Glow is cheaper for the initial investment. Electric front-loads the
'fuel' costs.
Glow is messy. Electric requires new learning but doesn't leave a smoke
trail (unless something really bad happens)..

Ok.. that last one might be an advantage for Electric over glow.

Don't change the rules just to change them. If there is a NEED to change
them, that's one thing, but right now I don't see a terrible problem
with either choice being that hard to compete with over the other.

Mark.. no turbine pattern for you. Hydrogen Fuel-Cell pattern.. that's
where it's at!

-Doug