[NSRCA-discussion] FAT Rudder

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Aug 24 08:09:12 AKDT 2009

Dave,

I can relate. Years back I won two Sportsman class 1st place trophies flying a 40 sized sport taildragger (Miss Martha). Flying against 60 sized trike retract planes. But, I had flown that design for years, so I knew it well. :-)  In fact, I had a better record flying non-pattern designs until I started flying a Hanson Runaround in '93, not because pattern planes did not fly well, but because that was the first pattern design that I seriously practiced with.

You are right about the F1 cars, but I think their metrics are more well defined than ours. Drag and down force are the main parameters. Handling is very important, and is probably the closest parameter they have to compare to our situation, and is somewhat (mostly?)subjective.

Bob R.

--- On Mon, 8/24/09, Dave <DaveL322 at comcast.net> wrote:

Years ago, Dad and I were 1st and 2nd for the D1 Champ in Sportsman (1 step up from the entry level class at that time) flying 4 servo fixed trike gear pattern planes w/ side exhaust 60s and pipes mounted on the fuse sides above the wings.  Very “crude” setups for the time.  The next planes we built had retracts, not because retracts flew better (they never did, unless you went through the fuss of full gear doors), but because “they” said we’d never get taken seriously and scored fairly without “real” pattern planes.

So far as strakes, fins, add-ons to an existing design, or developing design…..certainly some of it just might be “it looks cool”, or “look what I have”.  Or maybe it actually works, on some designs, with some setups, for some pilots.  Formula 1 has huge budgets and most teams introduce new bodywork every season, yet without fail, nearly every car has aerodevices which multiply and morph during the season……with the $$$ and resources consumed, and the $$$ and prestige at stake, I doubt many (if any) of these devices are added without having some real benefit.

Regards,

Dave