[NSRCA-discussion] FAT Rudder

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 24 06:09:41 AKDT 2009

Years ago, Dad and I were 1st and 2nd for the D1 Champ in Sportsman (1 step
up from the entry level class at that time) flying 4 servo fixed trike gear
pattern planes w/ side exhaust 60s and pipes mounted on the fuse sides above
the wings.  Very "crude" setups for the time.  The next planes we built had
retracts, not because retracts flew better (they never did, unless you went
through the fuss of full gear doors), but because "they" said we'd never get
taken seriously and scored fairly without "real" pattern planes.

So far as strakes, fins, add-ons to an existing design, or developing
design...certainly some of it just might be "it looks cool", or "look what I
have".  Or maybe it actually works, on some designs, with some setups, for
some pilots.  Formula 1 has huge budgets and most teams introduce new
bodywork every season, yet without fail, nearly every car has aerodevices
which multiply and morph during the season..with the $$$ and resources
consumed, and the $$$ and prestige at stake, I doubt many (if any) of these
devices are added without having some real benefit.

Regards,

Dave

  _____