[NSRCA-discussion] New Vehicle

jeffghughes at comcast.net jeffghughes at comcast.net
Sat Aug 15 10:13:35 AKDT 2009

matt,

5 or 10 years ago I would have agreed with you. Who knows now. like I said before, all the automakers use the same supply base for components and I've been to enough suppliers to know, they set up their processes for their most demanding customer and give the same quality to their least demanding customer, cause it's too confusing for them to have multi levels of quality systems. One of the downsides of globalization (or upside) is the homogenization of product. It gets harder and harder to differentiate products when all the auto companies are buying product from the same suppliers. When car companies were vertically integrated you saw engineering and quality differences as they came up with their own ideas. Now if  Eaton (for example) comes up with a new valve steel, they are selling it to anybody who'll buy.

 Nothing wrong with Toyotas, they make nice products. but anymore, I really don't see the difference. I've got a 99 ford ranger that since new I've only changed the oil, 2 batteries and  2 sets of tires (125,000 miles). . Still looks new (and it's not garaged) and everything works. Never been tuned  up or in the shop for any reason. I actually feel a little guilty that I don't change the transmission fluid or coolant or something.

 Though to support your claim, we have a joint venture with Komatsu, and those Japanese Engineers can beat a quality issue  to death sometimes. W hich probably explains the  following of their pattern planes . But they also have a bad habit of not owning up to problems  if it's an internal problem.