[NSRCA-discussion] New Vehicle

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 15:38:45 AKDT 2009

I have a Chrysler Town & Country, same as the Dodge Grand Caravan.  One
thing it has that no other minivan has is both middle and rear seats
that fold flat into the floor.  Lots of minivans have rear seats that
fold flat, but only the Chrysler products have the middle seats that
fold flat.  Very handy, if you occasionally need to carry more than two
passengers.  I have a rack that I can partially disassemble to allow
one or two seats to fold up without taking the whole thing out.  Seats
fold up in less than a minute.   I have 82,000 miles on it (2005 model
that I bought new), no problems, and I'd buy another one in a minute.
It has four coathooks in the back that I use to hold garment bars to
get the wings up close to the ceiling.  I can haul 4 two meter planes
if I pack carefully.   A friend has the 2008 model which has the newest
body style, and it is just as convenient, except he only has two coat
hooks!  They ride well, have great seats, and are comfortable on long
contest trips.  I get about 18-19 mpg city, and 23-24 on the road.

One thing to buy is remote closing side and rear doors.  I don't have
them, and I don't know how many times I've loaded up ready to leave the
field, only to realize that the sliding door on the passenger side is
still open.  PITA.  I also have the 3.2 liter engine.  I'd recommend
the 3.8.  A little more power on hills, and during the sweltering
summer days.  Actually gets the same or better mpg, since the final
gear is a little longer.

You can get every option known to man on it.  Ones I'd recommend are
the adjustable pedals if you have two drivers of considerably different
heights, and traction control, since the front wheels can spin
sometimes under hard acceleration on wet streets.

Jon Lowe