[NSRCA-discussion] Flash Poll - Relocate the Nats in 2010?

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Sun Aug 2 05:44:40 AKDT 2009

Nothing is ever this easy.  The US is represented as a country at the
FAI by the NAA, which is the National sporting body in the US for aero
related activities.  They represent all aero sports from model
airplanes to hanggliding, and everything in between.  As I understand
it, a country can be represented to the FAI either by a National body
such as the NAA, OR up to three associates, such as AMA and a
hanggliding association.  NAA would have to cease to exist, be
expelled, or agree to only be an associate member for AMA to break out.
  I don't see that happening.  How the FAI membership fee for the US is
split up by the NAA affiliates (of which AMA is one), I don't know.
Tony can probably get that answer.  I do know that NAA is (or at least
was) represented at the AMA executive council meetings.

Here is a link on what can go wrong if countries don't have a single
organization such as the NAA representing them:

http://wingstaiwan.com/?p=155

Note: It would appear that Taiwan has fixed their FAI issues since the
above link was written.

Here are the member countries from the FAI website:

http://www.fai.org/fai_members/

Countries air listed by type from 1 to 10, along with associate and
temporary memberships. According to this website, the US appears to be
the only level 1 country.  There are a couple of level 2's, France and
Germany.  I couldn't find anything th
at described how levels are
determined.

Links to the FAI constitution and bylaws are here:

http://www.fai.org/documents/constitution

They describe how countries are represented at the FAI.

If AMA dropped out of the NAA representation to the FAI, we would no
longer be able to compete in world championships. NSRCA is three steps
removed from the FAI:  NSRCA>AMA>NAA>FAI.

Jon Lowe