[NSRCA-discussion] JR DSM glitch - trouble-shooting.

Brian brian_w_young at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 27 16:00:44 AKDT 2009

How about an IR temp gun to help?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Alt <ed_alt at hotmail.com>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 5:24 PM
To: General pattern discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>; colin chariandy  <cchariandy at yahoo.ca>; glmiller3 at suddenlink.net
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] JR DSM glitch - trouble-shooting.

This is easy to resolve.  Nothing high tech is needed.  One by one, move
your controls and carefully watch to see if it looks like the any of them
are straining at the end of their maximum travel.  Check the throttle in
particular.  I have seen digital servo cases melt from having the throw set
up further than the linkage will allow.  If that's not it, disconnect the
linkages at servo and work the control surface by hand.  If it does not move
very freely, fix it.  If you don't find the problem there, work the servos
around in a 10 minute mock flight on the ground, except exaggerate the
movements considerably since there will be no air load and engine vibration
to add to the load.  Listen to each servo.  If it sounds like it's having a
problem, remove it and check it out on the bench.  If there's nothing
obviously wrong by the sound of things, then feel the servo cases  to see if
any of them are getting warm, or even try smelling them for that
characteristic smell that hot electronics tend to have.  If there is a
regulator that got so hot as to discolor it, and there is nothing at all
wrong with the linkages or control surfaces, then this ought to find the
culprit.

Ed