[NSRCA-discussion] Ideas on radio beserkness-cause of crash??

Robert Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Sep 2 14:42:13 AKDT 2008

Instead of thinking of a battery failure mode as only being low or dead cells, you should also think of the case when a wire or welded strap breaks but continues to make intermittent connection aggravated by vibrations. I have not had this happen with a battery myself, but I have had this happen inside a servo and it caused the exact symptoms described here, but only for that servo.

  Sounds like everything in the plane was well proven, except for the battery and the switch. I would look very closely at both of those. (provided you find them!).

  Bob R.

Wayne Galligan <wgalligan at att.net> wrote:
          That sounds just like what happened when my Aries went in at Nederland.  Elevator and throttle oscillated and there was very slow response on controls just like a weak battery.  Post crash indicated a good charge on battery but I still think it may have had a bad cell. Only had one flight on it at that time.

  Wayne Galligan