[NSRCA-discussion] Ideas on radio beserkness-cause of crash??

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Sep 2 08:47:10 AKDT 2008

Regarding the "last thought", this happened to me many years ago.  I
was performing a 4-Point Roll when the airplane stopped rolling at
the third point and crashed.  After having the transmitter and
receiver serviced, I was installing the same servos into a new
airplane and was doing a bench check.  As I was slowly putting in
aileron,  the whole system locked up.  After I shut off the receiver
and turned it back on, the system behaved normally.  However, I could
repeat the failure by slowly approaching the same aileron
deflection.  Each time I got to "that spot", the whole system would
lock up.  Now, Gray's symptoms were not the same, but it demonstrates
that a servo can take down the whole system.  I'll leave it for you
electronics experts to explain why.

BTW, the system was not a PCM system, it was an FM system, a Kraft
KP-7Z, the "top of the line"  back in the 1970s.  I still have that
old servo as a reminder to check the servos too.

Ron VP