[NSRCA-discussion] Good used radio

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Oct 23 07:16:58 AKDT 2008

Those are all good points.  However, I have a small hobby shop and
many of my customers and I are very conservative financially (we're
tightwads) and the the 8-channel module/receiver combination costs
about $70 more than the 7-channel cousin.  I know the big price
difference is mostly in the receiver, which is the same one used with
all the high-end Futaba 2.4 GHz systems.  Except for my Pattern
airplanes, none require more than six channels.  I only use one of my
Futaba 9ZAPs for my Pattern airplanes, so the second 9Z doesn't need/
can't use the capabilities of a second 8-channel module/receiver
combination, so I can't justify the extra cost.

BTW, there are many 2.4 GHz systems out there and the prices are all
over the map.  A good example of a low-priced one is the E-Sky 4 and
6 channel systems and, while they are simple radios, with only basic
features (no mixing. dual rates. etc), they are perfectly adequate
for park fliers and other small airplanes and the transmitter/
receiver combos are priced at under $100.  What would really be great
is if they were compatible with Futaba/JR/Spektrum/Extreme, etc.

Ron Van Putte