[NSRCA-discussion] CF gear needs and something to talk about

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Wed Oct 22 09:32:46 AKDT 2008

Interesting about the need for landing gear. Lance and I from AeroSlave
have conteplated making gear. Personnally I have an ES and we chose not
design and fab CF gear because the ES was a good price, good weight.  I
was unaware the ES has ceased making the gear. If I had to guess ES
stopped due to not enough money to be made, probably due to the people
wanting replacements due to breaking or just not enough profit margin at
$75.
I have looked at many different types of CF gear and the one thing they
all had in common was some type of design flaw. These various flaws were a
result of composite design ignorance or, a tough choice that had to be
made to keep fab costs low.  So the question is...how much would a pattern
dude pay for a lightweight CF landing gear that would never break under
normal use? It can be done, but is the market there?

$100 ?
$150 ?
$175 ?

I would guess that a majority will choke on a $100 cost, and obviously, a
$75 price tag (ES) is not sustainable as a business.

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radomes and Specialty Apertures
Technical Staff Composites Engineering
Raytheon

Jon Lowe <jonlowe at aol.com>
Sent by: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
10/22/2008 11:44 AM
Please respond to
General pattern discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>

General pattern discussion <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [NSRCA-discussion] since the list is slooooooow...

Concur on the landing gear.  Big hole was left when ES stopped producing
gears.

Jon Lowe