[NSRCA-discussion] Slide Rules....was Art Wagner

ORLANDO FRETS ojfrets at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 13 12:28:05 AKDT 2008

Neither.
"Slide Rule"

Orlando Frets

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of
rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 2:50 PM
To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Slide Rules....was Art Wagner

If you hung your calculator by your belt, you were considered a nerd. I
remember some of the kids would use that as bragging tool....go figure. Also
the strange arguments that would ensue over whether straight up calculations
(TI) or reverse polish notation calculation (HP) was better method

My circular slide ruler was tucked away safely in my pocket, but I must
admit that later in my first year, I had to go to dark side too....just
couldn't compete with getting the decimals in the right place without
thinking. I'm with Bob on that one....I still do the magnitude of the
calculation in my head too.

BTW, is it a "Slider Rule" or a "Slide Ruler"?? I always thought it was a
Slide Ruler, or, in my case, neither, since it was circular.

Another BTW, if you are less than, say, 45 years old, you probably don't
have a clue what's all the hubbub about.