[NSRCA-discussion] Slide Rules....was Art Wagner

rcmaster199 at aol.com rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 10:50:34 AKDT 2008

If you hung your calculator by your belt, you were considered a nerd. I remember some of the kids would use that as bragging tool....go figure. Also the strange arguments that would ensue over whether straight up calculations (TI) or reverse polish notation calculation (HP) was better method

My circular slide ruler was tucked away safely in my pocket, but I must admit that later in my first year, I had to go to dark side too....just couldn't compete with getting the decimals in the right place without thinking. I'm with Bob on that one....I still do the magnitude of the calculation in my head too.

BTW, is it a "Slider Rule" or a "Slide Ruler"?? I always thought it was a Slide Ruler, or, in my case, neither, since it was circular.

Another BTW, if you are less than, say, 45 years old, you probably don't have a clue what's all the hubbub about.