[NSRCA-discussion] Battery puffing question?

adriancwong at earthlink.net adriancwong at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 9 20:08:55 AKST 2008

To all,

I don't have much experience on li-po batteries. However, I have a pack puffed up on me recently. I submerged it in salt water for a few days before I discard it in a recycle bin, is this the most correct way to treat these kind of batteries?

In addition to overcharging, cells not balanced, run them too low ... etc. Is it also true that the wrapping/ packaging can be damaged - helium gas leaks out and mixed with oxygen in the air, causing it to puff up?

Also, if you have to send it back to the manufacturer for exchange, how many days should I submerge it in salt water before it's safe for shipping?

I assume once it is safe for shipping, there is no way the pack will give out any more lithium gas during shipping causing it to flair up again when it's open by the manufacturer?

Thanks for info,

Adrian