[NSRCA-discussion] Visual wings level indicator?

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 2 06:54:07 AKST 2008

Anthony,

Bummer about the botched lasik.

My eyes are also not the best, so my color scheme is designed to help that.

If not familiar with the concept of "gray scale", google it.  Basically, the
highest contrast is between black and white, and at distance, our eyes tend
to loose perception of color, but still see gray scale.  Things like red,
green, and blue all turn to black in the air - so the contrast between these
colors decreases with increased distance.

The fuse on my planes has a white stripe down the middle, and above/below is
red (this pretty much appears to be white/black in the air).  The wingtips
are white for the last 6-8".  When the wings are level, the white wingtips
pretty much disappear in the white strip on the fuse sides.  When the wings
aren't level, the white tips contrast with the red areas on the fuse sides.

Late in the evenings, when the light is weak, the LE of the white wingtips
is what I see the best when the plane is coming at me out of turnarounds.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart