[NSRCA-discussion] Battery puffing question?

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 1 13:01:02 AKDT 2008

I have a Zippy-H 2200mah 3S pack that I use in a small electric plane. I was flying it today and it the plane lost power pretty quickly. I landed and noticed that the battery had puffed on me. It was warm to the touch but not hot. I let it cool but it is still a little puffy almost like a ziplock bag with a little air in it.

Question: Should I try to cycle the pack or just chuck it and move on? Are Lipos kaput once they puff or can they still be used? I didn't abuse the pack and it barely flew long enough to warm up.

Thanks for any info and suggestions.
Anthony