[NSRCA-discussion] Charging lipo receiver packs in the plane

JEREMY CHINN lagrue at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 09:51:19 AKDT 2008

Jeff, I have too many stories to pass along about burnt up airplanes which were burnt up by charging lipos in them. Thankfully none of those stories involves one of my airplanes......

Cell balancers are widely available and easy to use.

For charging, ceramic battery 'bunkers' or fireproof bags are well worth the cheap insurance they provide.

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 10:45:03 -0700From: tewalker10 at yahoo.comTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgSubject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Charging lipo receiver packs in the plane
Jeff,

I went with 2-cell Lipo for my receiver like you did. I'm new to this battery technology so I did a lot of research and I came up with the following to avoid any horror stories.

1. I use a combined charger/balancer for my Lipos
2. I pull the Lipos out of the plane while charging (I have them velcroed in and they are easy
    to get to).
3. I store the Lipos outside of the plane in a safe place when I am not using them.

This system is not perfect, but it is the best that I could come up with.

I hope that this helps,

Terry   Jeff Hill <jh102649 at speakeasy.net> wrote:
Is it ok to charge one's lipo receiver pack in the aircraft? Is balancing required for a 2s receiver pack? Any horror stories out there?TIAJeff Hill_______________________________________________NSRCA-discussion mailing listNSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.orghttp://lists.nsrca.org/mailman/listinfo/nsrca-discussion