[NSRCA-discussion] Vibration Dampening mounts

Rex trexlesh at msn.com
Fri May 23 14:43:16 AKDT 2008

Jim

Go to a Husqvarna Chainsaw dealer...  The older Saws used that type of mount.  One end had a screw molded in, the
other end, a threaded bolt hole.

Rex

Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:56:59 -0400From: jim.woodward at baesystems.comTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgSubject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Vibration Dampening mounts

Guys – thanks for the replies.  I chose to purchase this from McMaster Carr:  http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=9213K11&pagenum=1350

The price was the major determining factor – something like $1.87 versus $4.00’ish each.

Thanks,
Jim

From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Jay MarshallSent: Friday, May 23, 2008 2:52 PMTo: jpavlick at idseng.com; 'General pattern discussion'Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Vibration Dampening mounts

I’ve successfully used the well nuts (blind rivets) to attach motor mounts to the firewall. Work great and much easier than captive nuts. Piedmont models used to have an app note on their web site with the ordering info.

Jay Marshall
-----Original Message-----From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of John PavlickSent: Friday, May 23, 2008 10:54 AMTo: General pattern discussionSubject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Vibration Dampening mounts

Jim,

 What you're looking for is commonly known as an "isolation" mount. Take a look here:

http://www.rubber-group.com/isolationmounts.html

I don't know what their minimum quantity requirement is but it looks like they have just about any size. Let me know if you have any success with them.

For pipe mounting I've been using a different type of mount lately. It's called a "well nut" or "rivet nut":

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3214

It's a piece of threaded metal encapsulated in rubber. You drill a hole in the hard-point, insert the well nut, attach your part to the well nut using a screw and tighten the screw. The well nut swells up on the other side of the attachment point and retains the part that you're fastening. It's self locking and you can control the amount of isolation by how much you tighten the screw. I've had iso-mounts fail (the two halves will separate) but the well nuts hold up fine. I would suggest replacing them during your annual maintenance though - I consider them a wear item like fuel tubing. You can add nylon spacers of different thickness' between the well nut and the pipe mount to align the pipe too.

John Pavlick "Woodward, Jim (US SSA)" <jim.woodward at baesystems.com> wrote:

Hi Guys,I would like to purchase a rubber isolation mount like what is used onthe Dave Brown hush-clamp pipe mounts.http://www.vibrationmounts.com/Store.asp?Page=Products1.htm here is alink to what they look like. They have some various trade names. I'mhaving trouble finding them with 6/32 threads, and available for sale.McMaster Carr calls them "Vibration Dampening pads" but does not have asmall enough size. Does anyone have a reasonable source for these? I have found them to beabout $7.00 EACH from stores that published prices.Thanks,Jim W. _______________________________________________NSRCA-discussion mailing listNSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.orghttp://lists.nsrca.org/mailman/listinfo/nsrca-discussion