[NSRCA-discussion] FAI flight time rule

Jeff Hill jh102649 at speakeasy.net
Wed May 14 19:32:34 AKDT 2008

While reading up on the new FAI rules I came upon the following
paragraphs regarding flight time:

from Section 5.1.11
If there is a frequency conflict, the competitor must be allowed a
maximum of one
minute for a radio check before the start of the 3 minute starting
time. The timer will audibly notify
the competitor when the minute is finished and immediately start
timing the 3-minutes starting time.

The starting time ceases when the model aircraft commences its take-
off roll. The timing device is re-started when
the model aircraft commences its take-off roll, and time will stop
when the model aircraft first
touches the runway after completion of the flight. The total flight
time allowed is 8 minutes.

from Section 5.1.12
  The competitor has eight minutes to complete the flight; timing to
start when the flight line
official gives the signal to the competitor to start his model
aircraft  and ending when the model
aircraft first touches the runway after completing the flight.

5.1.11 seems to say that the competitor gets 8 minutes from the time
the TO roll starts. 5.1.12 says the competitor gets 8 minutes from the
time s/he is told to start the model aircraft.

If it is 8 minutes total that seems short to me because someone could
spend 3 minutes of the time getting the engine started and only have 5
for the flight. I know sequences are shorter now, but, we've had
pilots exceed 10 minutes at the Nats so I would think 2 fewer minutes
would make even the shortest sequences tough to do.

Any rules gurus out there want to comment? Perhaps electric fliers are
getting a break after losing out on the batteries-as-fuel issue.

Jeff Hill