[NSRCA-discussion] Accident

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Fri May 9 07:26:52 AKDT 2008

One of my local clubs recently installed 2" dia x 36" steel pipes vertically in a new concrete pour in our start-up area. There are three pipes, spaced for very large aircraft and smaller gassers. Each is covered with foam padding of the type used on boat docks. The aircraft is positioned with the wings against the pipes for starting. The airplane won't move forward if the wings stay on.

Interestingly, there was some objection to installing these. The worry was that they might encourage operating these aircraft alone. Consensus was that generally reducing the chance of an accident was a good thing.

We also have tie-down anchors in the pavement - but have had one serious accident when a tie-down strap broke - much like Jay's report.

Earl