[NSRCA-discussion] YS Questions+more - Rolls

Matthew Frederick mjfrederick at cox.net
Sun Mar 9 06:43:36 AKDT 2008

Chris, the datum line you use on the fuse should be a line that when running parallel to the ground will have your plane look the way you want it to when you're flying straight and level. I know on Bryan's designs he tries to make the canopy seam define this line so that visualizing it is easier. That way when he sets up to measure, all he has to to is pull the canopy and lay a level on the fuse. That's one thing that always baffled me about people sharing setups (hmm, I fly .5 pos on the wing, and .25 pos on the stab, and .5 neg and right thrust). All that means nothing if you're not using the same reference point, plus you might want your aircraft to present differently in the air, so you're screwed there too. Good luck with the trimming, I know it can be a pain, but it's well worth the work once you have an airplane that you don't have to fight throughout the sequence.

Matt