[NSRCA-discussion] YS Questions+more - Rolls

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Fri Mar 7 17:07:35 AKST 2008

Jim,
Your logic seems very sound to me.
G.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: J N Hiller
  Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 7:30 PM
  Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] YS Questions+more - Rolls

  Matt you have been doing this longer than I have and I value your suggestions. I tend to work with the CG and wing incidence first because it is quick and easy. I readjust the wing incidence every time a CG change is made to reacquire neutral elevator. I am not yet ready to mess with a cambered stab airfoil. I found that down thrust changes influence the pitch more as the airplane slows and very important in controlling pitch approaching a power on stall turn, which may be different than coasting to a stop. The main reason I go the easy route first is that the down line and knife-edge are also being affected and if the change is detrimental it is easy to undo and try something else.

  The first Option-120 I built had an adjustable motor mount and stab as well as the wing so I could set and try several different combinations. I was able to get an acceptable pitch trim from 1/2 to 2 degrees of down thrust by tweaking the CG and wing incidence except for a power on vertical stop where more down thrust would pull the nose to the belly and the prop-wash on the stab would pitch it to the canopy if the down-thrust was insufficient. Once I obtained an acceptable balance I resisted further tweaking of the down-thrust angle.  I found that trusting the airplane to hold vertical while approaching a stall turn was quite important. It is difficult to see a flop inducing off vertical pitch and little time to correct it.

  I should also state that if the wing was changed very much by either cambering the stab or moving the CG the down thrust needed to be reset to maintain stall turn entry pitch.

  The adjustable stab appeared to be of value only when the effective vertical wing to stab separation was to be changed. Correct me if I am wrong but it has been my understanding that the vertical separation has a significant influence in knife-edge trim.

  In most proven designs without adjustable stabs have been pretty well tweaked for stab location / incidence and down thrust leaving weight, wing incidence and CG to pilot preference tweaking. It seams we are trying to trim to the most acceptable compromise that supports several flight attitudes found in the schedule to be flown and pilot compatibility.

  I have probably said too much but the subject interests me greatly. It’s an unending learning by doing experience that I can indulge in outside, all summer. I have the #4 Option (small stab revision) airframe ready to cover. The snow pile beside the driveway is under 4 feet now and the lawn is emerging from under the trees.

  Jim Hiller