[NSRCA-discussion] Trouble viewing nsrca.us with IE explorer (huge fonts)

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Thu Mar 6 17:54:21 AKST 2008

Jim Alberico wrote:

> I probably won't have the chance to grab the ball and run with it,  but I can
> kick it.   It's a long shot...field goal attempt from 60 yards.

I think you may just have won the game!

> On one site where I  have an installation of WebCalendar (open source, PHP,
> CSS, etc.), one user sees a mangled display.  He uses IE and Vista.  However,
> the problem is documented in the WebCalendar user community and some people
> have reported seeing the problem in Firefox.  Neither I nor anyone else I
> know can reproduce the problem.  The cause of that problem is that the CSS is
> not loading at all!!  The WebCalendar dev team says the problem is related to
> an attempt they have made to cache the CSS to improve performance.
> Apparently, under certain circumstances their technique can cause a browser
> to fail to load the styles.  This probably does not apply to us, but....

It could.

We are using Joomla's cache.  I'd hate to turn it off permanently,
but that might help to settle the issue.  We can't shape
the cache.  It's on or off.  I'm not sure what strategy the
system uses when it's on.

Of course, browsers do some caching, too.

> Anyway, just a thought.  If the user doesn't know what nice layout to expect,
> he might be thinking it's a fonts issue.   A screenshot would make it obvious
> to us.

Agreed.

> Re: what version of Windows.  Do you know for sure the user is even on
> Windows at all?  Maybe a Mac?

Haven't heard.  I got the report second-hand.

An experienced system administrator says it could also
be the side effect of a virus.

				Marty