[NSRCA-discussion] Electric Pattern

krishlan fitzsimmons homeremodeling2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 09:40:26 AKST 2008

Hey Mike..

  Good rule of thumb, I like the 200.. lol..

  As for the 4130, it's more for 60 size planes, such as the Fliton Inspire 60, works awesome in this plane, but it's light also.. From the Axi website it's listed as suitable for  .54-.60 -2stroke .70-.80 -4stroke. Although it may work as you save weight with the 8s packs, I think it will leave an undesirable power level. Especially in the wind.. The 120 size are 5320's.. From Axi's website its listed as  .80-1.08 -2stroke .91-1.2 -4stroke. And if you can afford it, I would recommend 10s to start, therefore if and when a 2m plane was bought, you don't have to invest a bunch more on packs, while alot of 8s packs go to waste..
  I'm not saying you're wrong Mike as I know you have probably done alot of testing in your planes, just mentioning it in case you hadn't tried the 4130 vs the 5320.. That's all. I have had both..
  I had a showtime which is a 90 size plane with a 5320 with 10s 3700's and it had just enough power for 3d, but was adequate for pattern. Granted the showtime was a brick.. lol I think it was 11 lbs.. lol . And I had the Inspire which was very light with the 4130..

  Chris

Mike Hester <kerlock at comcast.net> wrote:
    DIV {   MARGIN: 0px  }        For pattern a good rule of thumb is 150 watts per pound. A better rule of thumb is closer to 200 watts per pound.

  It takes a lot of experimentation to find the right combination, sometimes what looks great on paper doesn't work all that well in application.

  What you're looking for is more than you "need". this way when you push it in bad conditions, you don't burn it all up.

  I have found some very cheap chinese motors that work as good or better than what we can get over here from the more established companies. Some combinations are really cool, especially in the 110 range. You're looking for around 1600-2000 watts, motor weight about 500 grams or less, about 250-300kv, and using 8s packs. Lethal =) And fairly inexpensive.

  Then you just have to figure out whether you want to turn a large prop slow or a small prop fast. Somewhere in there, you hit the magic for the particular plane.

  But if you want "established", the E flight power 110 is ok, and the Axi 4130-20 works. Don't get the -16 turn axi as it won't handle 8 cells and won't deliver quite enough power.

  -Mike