[NSRCA-discussion] Harvest Correction - take II

Woodward, Jim (US SSA) jim.woodward at baesystems.com
Tue Jun 24 09:08:30 AKDT 2008

Guys,

I wanted to reframe what I meant to get across regarding my F09 flight
or not and the Harvest contest thread.  I did not intend the post to
read bad of the competitors or the CD for that matter and I failed in
word choice on the feeling of being cheated by one of them as it is
clear they thought the finishing-order is correct.

The purpose of my post was to point out that the "competition" part of
the "competition" is not being taken as seriously as it once was, and is
influenced by informality afforded by a friendly & close group, and that
this is a bad precedent to set for the rest of the classes.  I do not
want it to be perceived that one class is better or is being treated
markedly different than the other, or its competitors given special
opportunities the other competitors do not have.  Each class will have
its unique needs, be it with the selection of judges with the experience
to judge that particular class, or the "time of the morning" they fly
due to sun & top-of-the-box issues.  But basically, the contest needs to
treat each competitor and class with the same fairness.

What is not said enough is that we have really great people and families
(even the ones that stay home supporting the pilot) supporting District
3.  We have new and old flyers and National level talent mixed in all
our classes.  The backbone of our district is the CD's, who have year
after year broken a vertebra or two arranging contests that everyone
benefits from and they (literally) cannot be thanked enough.  We also
have people competing this year who are deciding if they will continue
flying pattern or not, as well as people who have stepped out for the
year and are making an evaluation - to come back or not.  Their support
is greatly missed as well.  They are people who have already "bought-in"
to pattern and we need to do everything we can to foster a spirit and
environment that can reinvest their interest.

Thanks,

Jim