[NSRCA-discussion] Snap in AMA

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 09:33:55 AKDT 2008

Ok, good discussion point.? The first part of that rule says:
?
"A Snap roll is a simultaneous, rapid

autorotation in the pitch, yaw and roll axes of

flight in a stalled wing attitude."

Note the word "simultaneous".?

The next part of the rule states:
"
1. Since the maneuver is defined as a
stalled maneuver, initiated by a stall of

the wing induced by a rapid change in

pitch attitude, the nose of the fuselage

must show a definite break in pitch

attitude from the flight path in the

direction of the snap (positive or

negative) while the track closely

maintains the flight path. The lack of a

discernable pitch break is downgraded

by 5 points."

Note that it does NOT state that the definite pitch break has to happen FIRST.? It just says that a definite pitch?break has to happen, and going by the first part of the definition, departure in all three axis can happen simultaneously.? I think that a lot of judges are thinking that the pitch break in AMA snaps has to happen first, but the rule doesn't say that.

. Since the maneuver is defined as a
stalled maneuver, initiated by a stall of

the wing induced by a rapid change in

pitch attitude, the nose of the fuselage

must show a definite break in pitch

attitude from the flight path in the

direction of the snap (positive or

negative) while the track closely

maintains the flight path. The lack of a

discernable pitch break is downgraded

by 5 points."

Note that it does NOT state that the definite pitch break has to happen FIRST.? It just says that a definite pitch?break has to happen, and going by the first part of the definition, departure in all three axis can happen simultaneously.? I think that a lot of judges are thinking that the pitch break in AMA snaps has to happen first, but the rule doesn't say that.

Jon Lowe