[NSRCA-discussion] Snap entry in FAI

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 16 08:22:46 AKDT 2008

Thanks Jim for the link and it's content. Great info. We finally got some
decent flying weather here in the northwest and this afternoon I wanted to
work on the 45 down snap. I have changed the set-up of last year's airplane
to a more forward CG and re-trimmed pitch yesterday. I like it better but
that $#%^* snap appears slow and sluggish almost resembling a barrel roll,
exiting on about a 35 degree line. I am already using high rate elevator for
spin entry and planned to increase the travel and use it for the snap as
well. I have experienced heading changes due to excessive rudder in both the
45 down snap and avalanche and fear more elevator travel will cause more
exit heading deviation and using more aileron may give the appearance of a
fast aileron roll. Today's challenge and the judges will let me know
Saturday morning.
Thanks again for the link. I want to get back into some IMAC competition and
have a 50-size Yak ready to fly but I need to get some quality pattern
practice first.
Scale airplanes snap a lot easier!
Jim Hiller