[NSRCA-discussion] Electric Motor Problem

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Jun 3 20:15:55 AKDT 2008

I have converted a World Models Spot-On 120 for electric-power.  The
motor is a Dualsky 6350 - 12T (2000 watt), swinging an APC 18x12 E
prop.  The speed control is a Jeti Opto 90 Advance.  Using the Jeti
programming card, I set the timing for OUTRUNNER, the brake for OFF,
the cutoff voltage to HIGH, the cutoff type to SLOW DOWN and the
throttle curve to LINEAR.  I am using a Futaba 9Z transmitter, with
the throttle throw initially set from -100% to +100% as indicated in
the Jeti instructions.

When the throttle is advanced, RPM builds up normally, but at about
60% of throttle stick position, the motor 'chatters' and I have to
shut it down.  If I don't do anything other than reduce the high
throttle in ATR from +100% to +80%, the motor comes smoothly up to
maximum RPM.

What's going on?

Ron VP