[NSRCA-discussion] You have agiftfromMattKebabjian(RCMaster199 at aol.com)

Jay Marshall lightfoot at sc.rr.com
Mon Jun 2 16:05:03 AKDT 2008

FYI:

An onslaught of email invitations coming from BuddyTV.Com appears to be
annoying already. The title of the email is somewhat deceptive: "You Got A
Gift from (name of sender who doesn't know about spamming activities)". At
the next line of the bluish email, it says "Get Your Gift" and it is
followed by another statement "Find out what you got by clicking the
button." Of course, most uninformed Internet users would click the button.
Who wouldn't want a gift? But guess what? When you click the button you'd
land on BuddTV website <http://www.buddytv.com> . Isn't this the same
strategy used by Plaxo and GoodTree? Farther down, you'd read this catchy
statement: "Come check out the shows I love and see if we have any in
common. Or just get the latest inside scoop on your own favorite shows."
BuddyTV appears a good boy at last. Here's the line: "This email was sent to
(your compromised email address) at the request of (name of email sender).
If you would rather not receive emails from us, please cick here. If you
remember the Plaxo brouhaha in which this website was sending unsolicited
emails to people's address books, to the anger and dismay of the Internet
crowd, you may see a familiarity of this kind of tactic. The problem is that
millions of Internet users are careless. Look at how Nigerian scammers
laughed all the way to the bank. According to a BBC report, they ran away
millions of dollars just by sending tear-producing emails: "Oh, I'm dying. I
need your help. I have billions of money in my bank in Nigeria. They don't
want me to withdraw so I contacted you. Let's divide the loot." Plaxo,
BuddyTV, GoodTree, and many other websites don't scam people. But look, once
they've amassed millions of emails and contact information, they sell their
websites in tens of millions of U.S. Dollars. In the case of Plaxo, Comcast
just closed a hefty deal. Comcast acquired Plaxo for $170 Million. Is there
money in spamming? It's all up to you how you'd answer this question.

Jay Marshall