[NSRCA-discussion] Question - YS140DZ

Lisa & Larry lld613 at psci.net
Mon Jun 2 15:41:09 AKDT 2008

Ran the engine at home about three weeks ago and perfect idle, midrange, and
full throttle...

I went to the field Sunday to maiden my Titan
Started as it usually does,
and while it was at idle I adjusted the transmitter to get it dialed in
after my Tx repair / reprogramming. This took about 15 to 20 seconds
Let it
warm up a little longer and then slowly increased rpm
About ½ throttle on
the stick, somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000 RPM I heard a low freq buzz
(sounded like an electric motor burning up
vbg)
shut it down and found that
the spinner loose (new spinner, new prop APC 16 x 11). This is the set up I
have flown with this engine for 3 years

Tightened up the spinner making sure the prop was tight and started again
and got a DZ bump
nicked spinner, not bad
Tightened everything up again,
started nice idled well, then transitioned to full throttle. Again at half
throttle, it popped, quit, and shavings of prop flew every where. It was
violent. The spinner is bent worse than I ever saw before by anyone
The prop
was intact except for the missing chunks at the hub where it hit the
spinner.

Starting procedures and equipment:

Radio South Starter with on/off switch in the off position, using a Kavan
starter turn the prop and then turn on the Ni-starter. Temperature was about
20 degree warmer on Sunday than the initial test run. Used the same fuel
from the same can, Power Master 30% DZ

Three weeks ago it was running a bit on the rich side and I didn’t touch
anything until Sunday when I intended to lean it out
Never got that far.

What did I do wrong if anything? What can I look for in the engine to repair
or correct myself or looking at?

Or do I just send it in to YS Performance?

I have a back up 140DZ and bought the last FAI 3-¼ TT spinner w/ light
backplate at Central
vbg

If I made a mistake, I don’t want to repeat it.

Your thoughts? Troy you out there?

Larry Diamond