[NSRCA-discussion] Batteries

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Thu Jul 17 19:38:02 AKDT 2008

Paul,
 I normally charge new NiMH batteries at C/10 for 20 hours once, then I
cycle them 2 more times while charging at C/10 for 16 hours. If you
discharge at 500mA they should be at their rated capacity after all of this.
You can then use them and charge normally (up to 2C charge rate). It doesn't
hurt (in fact it may actually help) if you occasionally charge at C/10 for
16 hours. Fast charging any battery is generally not good for it (except
some of the R/C car cells) - slow charging is the preferred method if time
permits.
I've found that it's important to use / cycle NiMH batteries on a regular
basis or they may lose capacity or worse yet die completely. If for example
you let your plane sit all Winter, you may be in for a surprise when you
charge it up for the first time in the Spring. The batteries charge normally
but you may find that they die in a few minutes (bad cells). I've had this
happen on several occasions so I'm very careful about this.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com