[NSRCA-discussion] [Bulk] Re: Kline pump

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sun Jul 6 03:54:37 AKDT 2008

Yes, the Kline system is very similar to a scuba regulator. With a scuba regulator, the person has to inhale (draw a slight vacuum compared to the pressure depth) for the regulator to open and pass air.

Years ago I did a review of an MVVS .61 engine with a Kline regulator. The problem with the Kline system is that it requires the carb to suck fuel. Until the carb draws a slight negative pressure in the fuel line, the regulator will not open since the reference pressure is atmospheric. However, the MVVS carb was designed to use muffler pressure to operate.  The carb had to be modified to operate properly with the Kline system.

I thought about modifying the Kline regulator by mounting a pressure tap and running muffler pressure to this tap. This would make the reference pressure equal to muffler pressure and would cause the system to feed fuel to the carb anytime there was muffler pressure. This would also require pressurizing the tank with crankcase pressure. I never got around to trying out the idea.

Bob R