[NSRCA-discussion] YS help

William C. Harden flyinbill1 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 4 14:17:10 AKDT 2008

Yes, it is a bear getting a stuck bearing off of a crankshaft.  It could be
there is varnish between the bearing and the crank.  I suggest that you
place a prop nut on the end of the crank and place the entire assembly in an
oven at about 300 degrees F. Place a board on a flat surface.  Wear a pair
of cloves and after taking the assembly out of the oven lightly tap the prop
end of the crankshaft on top of the board.  The intent is to get the bearing
to slip down the crankshaft at least enough where you may be able to get the
bearing puller claws behind the bearing where you can then pull it off.

Once the bearing is off the crank then using light oil and emory paper
polish the crankshaft area where the bearing sits.  The intent is to remove
any varnish from the crank and if the crankshaft is slightly oversize in
that area then remove a tiny bit of crankshaft material so that the new
bearing properly mates to the crankshaft. You won't need to do much
polishing to correct the problem.

Good luck.

Bill

  _____