[NSRCA-discussion] Aileron cut-off

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 09:11:48 AKST 2008

I use a 10" hollow ground 'plainer blade' which makes a smooth cut, and set
it as high as it will go. The over-cut on the opposite side is no more than
1/4" beyond the inboard relief cut. I cap the inboard end of the aileron
with 1/4" and the wing with 1/8" and plan just under 1/16" clearance gap. U
stop cutting at the first line and trim the relief material manually. The
remaining over cut is just filled with a sliver of soft balsa pressed in
without glue.
I still have the un-trimmed, un-cut opposite side shuck but the panels are
finished except for adding tip blocks and capping the flying surfaces for
hinging. The shuck cut off with the flying surface is used to support it for
adding hard points and adding the hinge centerline. After sanding the
capping material flush with the surface I apply centerlines as accurate as I
can to both the flying and control surfaces. I cut the hinge slots before
beveling to insure a minimum offset. I have found no better way than to make
the knife cut on the centerline and of the surfaces are misaligned by .010"
a new hinge slot is cut. Less than .010" can usually be sanded flush after
hinging.
Taping the hinged control surface back on before beveling aids in shaping
the tip blocks and aligning the stab half's when joining. Beveling is the
last thing I do after adding dowel hard points and drilling them for the
threaded control horns. It's easier to control the offset to insure the
connection is on centerline for cable connections.
Yes the cutting is straight and fast requiring no additional dressing prior
to capping and there are a lot of cuts to make.
Most of you already have a preferred procedure and this may be excessive
information but construction goes better with a plan.
How I do it.
Jim Hiller