[NSRCA-discussion] Example noise ordinances that work

Ed White edvwhite at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 23 08:59:56 AKST 2008

We had somewhat of an issue with noise complaints at our old flying field.  The noise ordinance in the area at the time was that it can be no higher than 85 dBA measured at the property line of the source.  A rough calculation indicates that an airplane that passes the pattern rule for noise (96 dB at 3 meters) should be below 85 dBA at anything more than a distance of about 40 feet from the airplane.  Pretty easy to live with.

But the legal allowable level for noise, and what people will complain about are two very different things.  Just because the neighbors can't show you are exceeding legal limits on noise will probably not be the end of the issue.

Ed

Tom Simes <simestd at netexpress.com> wrote:
Hi all,

If you have experience with noise ordinances in your area as they relate
to R/C activities, I would like to compare notes with you.  Specific
examples of ordinances you've been able to live with would be super!

Yes. we've already contacted our AMA representatives.

Thanks

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com