[NSRCA-discussion] New Planes

John Konneker jlkonn at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 07:45:59 AKST 2008

I think the review idea is a very good one and I think if they were to be concentrated on a single site it could get the manufacturer's
attention.  Great things are coming to the NSRCA website this year.  I recommend emailing or talking to Derek or one of the web guys
so that plans can be made if you have some specific thoughts.
Stay tuned!
:-)
JLK

From: jnhiller at earthlink.netTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgDate: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:33:14 -0800Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] New Planes

Reviews would be interesting but without a large sampling may not be very informative due to the reviewer ’s expectations and item-to-item quality control spread.
Jim Hiller
-----Original Message-----From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org]On Behalf Of Jay MarshallSent: Monday, January 14, 2008 7:52 AMTo: 'NSRCA Mailing List'Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] New Planes

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a place to go on the web for multiple reviews – by builders – of the pros and cons of pattern kits, ARFs, and RTFs?

Jay Marshall
-----Original Message-----From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Steven MaxwellSent: Monday, January 14, 2008 10:33 AMTo: NSRCA Mailing ListSubject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] New Planes

Ok sence I'm friends with Chris I'll take the counterpoint in this debate.
The way I see it and yes it would be better if everything is "perfect" but then thats not life, point being if auto's never had recalls, if you never had to reboot windows, ok and you can go on and on, the difference I see is Chris paid $3500-3800 for his Zeque now the difference between it and a $1100 plane to me is huge and many can't afford the $3500 or has better places to spend the money (wifey factor), I'm one that would do the adjustments to the less expensive plane for the difference in price if all other things for flying is close to the same.
 We have all seen the "Flavor of the month" factor, and have even had people say I had X plane and sold it years ago and still think it was the best flying plane they have ever had. I still like the way the CA kits are done, and no I'm not saying that they are good or bad just like the "kits" give me a well done fuse unfinished and all foam, and for me I even like them sheeted and let me do everything else. chris moon <cjm767driver at hotmail.com> wrote:

I think you are right Ed.  We are falling over ourselves to get the plane du jour and are willing to accept it as they come just to have the hot item I guess.  I have no problem with a quality kit for $1200, but accepting a messed up one that you have to fix or redo half of what the factory did is just not my idea of a good deal. We should demand better in my opinion.ChrisEd Miller wrote: Plane of the month syndrome, availability of planes and our own time to   build has brought us to where we are.  We had quite a few domestic, quality   conscious kit manufacturers at one time, now I think we are down just 2 or   3.  Quality issues with offshore products isn't limited to the few planes we   buy.  It seems that the lowest cost has become the sole reason to purchase   anything.  The flight from quality..........  Ed M.  ----- Original Message -----   From: "Anthony Romano" <anthonyr105 at hotmail.com>  To: "NSRCA Mailing List" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>  Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 8:34 AM  Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] New Planes        I know I should have made some noise about the last two kits I built. A   "name" airplane that I waited a long time for and was continually   dissapointed by.  Then it got harder. I built a Black Magic next and all the flaws were my own   fault!    Anthony      From: cjm767driver at hotmail.comTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgDate: Sun,   13 Jan 2008 20:07:57 -0600Subject: [NSRCA-discussion] New Planes      Since it has been so quiet, I want to stir the pot and ask everyone why it   is that we as a group accept lots of poor quality kits and just shrug it   off? I spoke with 2 people this weekend who are building different planes   and both are unhappy with the quality of the kits. Pieces are warped and   twisted and tubes misaligned and we just say..."oh well, I'll fix it". One   guy said something to the effect that well, it was ONLY $1,000.00!!!! We are   way too lenient on accepting cruddy quality and just fixing it. I know there   are not a lot of vendors out there, but we are happy to pay just $1,000 and   get a twisted plane in return?? I was told one popular plane that many guys   now have has 5 DEGREES of down thrust mistakenly molded into the fuse and   everyone just says, oh well, I'll fix it. Don't know about you, but $1,000   is a lot of dough to me, and to happily pay for a cruddy product in return   is just wrong. I still remember that famous email from one mfg that   basically said that the person complaining about his wing was twisted should   be HAPPY that it was twisted because famous pilot XX flew the plane too and   he won the NATS with it. The problem is that we don't as a group send the   junk back and demand that we get our money's worth. Nospan expects a perfect   kit without any problems at all, but aren't we too lenient? Maybe we need to   just buy kits like Mike's Black Magic and then we can only blame ourselves   if it comes out crooked.Sorry, but I really feel that we are being taken   advantage of due to the limited supply of planes available and we are told   to take it or leave it.Ok, I feel better now.Chris    Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!  _________________________________________________________________  Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™.  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/shop/specialoffers.mspx?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_CPC_MediaCtr_bigscreen_012008      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------