[NSRCA-discussion] New Planes

chris moon cjm767driver at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 13 17:08:03 AKST 2008

Since it has been so quiet, I want to stir the pot and ask everyone why
it is that we as a group accept lots of poor quality kits and just shrug
it off?  I spoke with 2 people this weekend who are building different
planes and both are unhappy with the quality of the kits.  Pieces are
warped and twisted and tubes misaligned and we just say..."oh well, I'll
fix it".  One guy said something to the effect that well, it was ONLY
$1,000.00!!!!  We are way too lenient on accepting cruddy quality and
just fixing it.  I know there are not a lot of vendors out there, but we
are happy to pay just $1,000 and get a twisted plane in return??  I was
told one popular plane that many guys now have has 5 DEGREES of down
thrust mistakenly molded into the fuse and everyone just says, oh well,
I'll fix it.  Don't know about you, but $1,000 is a lot of dough to me,
and to happily pay for a cruddy product in return is just wrong.  I
still remember that famous email from one mfg that basically said that
the person complaining about his wing was twisted should be HAPPY that
it was twisted because famous pilot XX flew the plane too and he won the
NATS with it. The problem is that we don't as a group send the junk back
and demand that we get our money's worth.  Nobody expects a perfect kit
without any problems at all, but aren't we too lenient?  Maybe we need
to just buy kits like Mike's Black Magic and then we can only blame
ourselves if it comes out crooked.
Sorry, but I really feel that we are being taken advantage of due to the
limited supply of planes available and we are told to take it or leave it.

Ok, I feel better now.

Chris