[NSRCA-discussion] Speaking of 2.4GHz

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 29 20:15:52 AKST 2008

Spektrum is going to come out with Telemetry for airborne radios.  They've had it for years in their ground radios, so they have a handle on it.  I also like the fact that their lead engineer who started the entire Spektrum line with Horizon came from Cypress Semiconductor, the chip vendor for the Spektrum stuff.  Futaba has a great base of experience with Spread Spectrum.  Their teething pains seem to have more to do with re-packaging their existing technology in a scramble to play catch-up with Spektrum.
Every radio has problems here and there, as we've seen over the years with 72 mHz gear, so when I hear that something just totally died in a few isolated cases, it does not alarm me.  However, "the big 3" have proven that they deliver good products overall and will address problems that do exist.  XPS on the other hand has made some questionable claims and really has no solution to provide path diversity for the receiver.  If you look at Futaba and also Airtronics full range SS receivers, they get path diversity from placing each antenna at the end of thin coax leads that allow them to each have a unique RF environment, much like Spektrum accomplishes with actual receivers at the end of data leads that feed a central unit.

If it was me trying to use XPS, I would spend a couple of years test flying it in stuff I could afford to lose, same as I did with Spektrum when it first came out.  I wounded a foamy with a AR6100 receiver that had an early firmware bug, which Horizon acknowledged and fixed. It had nothing to do with radio reception; it was the one that would slap down elevator and stay there.  Nice!  Since then, all of my foamy kills have been directly traceable to my thumbs.

Ed

Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:17:06 -0800From: edvwhite at sbcglobal.netTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgSubject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Speaking of 2.4GHzEd,I've been digging into (ie, poking around RCU) for XPS issues and as is usually the case find mostly secondhand and anecdotal problems along with a few really unhappy people.  I also find a lot of happy XPS users.  I am attracted to the XPS because it offers the future possibility of telemetry, something I would like to play with.  Lastly on the Spektrum, I've seen only a handful of systems fly at our local field.  I've also seen two crashes on two different Spektrum systems due to total loss of control, at close range.  At least one of those verified good battery voltage under load after the crash (the other one didn't check).  I know there are a huge number of satisfied Spektrum users.  I know of two locally who are not quite so satisfied.  Neither ever did figure out the reason for the loss of control.  And with Futaba's recent problem (which they have fixed), well I think we all have to realize there is no bulletproof system.  Just looking to see if people have had problems with the XPS.EdEd Alt <ed_alt at hotmail.com> wrote:

With a proven solution from Spektrum / JR and with Futaba introducing what will undoubtedly be a solid solution, why play with XPS?  I can't think of any advantage that it offers and it apparently has some issues to dig into and understand.   Ed

Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:44:14 -0800From: edvwhite at sbcglobal.netTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgSubject: [NSRCA-discussion] Speaking of 2.4GHzAnybody have experience with the xtremelink systems?http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/EdKen Thompson <kthompson at stx.rr.com> wrote:

That's pretty cool, thanks for bringing this to the list.  I saw this in the Flying Giants first thing this morning.