[NSRCA-discussion] Speaking of 2.4GHz

Pete Cosky pcosky at comcast.net
Fri Feb 29 13:46:18 AKST 2008

I came so close to buying an XPS system and read everything on all the forums I could find. The theory is good and if it actually channel hopped it would be great because the 2.4 GHz band is really dirty. If you have access to a spectrum analyzer that can tune that high you will see that if there are any houses around there is noise for you to contend with. If you want to find a lot of info on XPS go search RCGroups. There is a lot of info to be had but there is also a lot of misinformation. If you do a little research on the technology you will see what is fact and what is not.

The way the spread spectrum stuff is supposed to work should be like a lock and a key (some of the stuff used in other industries can still talk with a pretty high noise floor). That being said, XPS is looking at coming out with a 900mHz system and that band, at least where I fly and live, is a little cleaner. Until I actually see a system that works as I want it to I think I'll stay on 72mHz. I don't use PCM because I prefer the ability to fly through interference instead of having a lock out and with everyone looking to 2.4gig I should have no problem getting the pin at my field.