[NSRCA-discussion] What do I have?

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 09:42:51 AKST 2008

Do we need to balance this batteries?

Thanks,

--
Vicente "Vince" Bortone

From: "brett terry" <brett.terry at gmail.com>
The VPX cells are indeed actual A123 cells.  They are roughly half the size/capability/capacity of the larger cells, expect around 1000 mAh usable with minimal voltage depression at 10C discharge.  The pack consists of 2 cells in series (2S).

Use the Li-Fe setting (3.6V/cell) to charge.

I built a few of the larger packs for my IMAC planes and threw together a smaller pack for ignition, and also a 4S pack for electric planes.  They are fabulous in terms of actual power output throughout the discharge cycle because the voltage remains nearly constant.  I can draw 20C current levels from a deeply discharged pack, right up until they dump.  Of course they dump VERY fast, so a lot of care is required.  My charger shows the remaining charge state (from 0% to 100%) when I plug in the battery (BEFORE it charges).  I just plug in the charger after a couple of flights and if the remaining charge is under 30%, I just leave it on the charger for a few minutes to top it off.  These small batteries will charge from completely dead to fully charged in less than 20 minutes, although they go to 95% of charge after 7-10 minutes.  I find I can plug them in while refueling the plane to keep them topped off.

Also, my 50cc planes with big servos draw around 250-350 mAh per flight or less, so a pattern plane will draw significantly less.  Check out Bob Pastorello's site (www.rcaerobats.net) or RCU/FG for more info.