[NSRCA-discussion] Phenolic tubes for gator wing adjusters

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Tue Feb 12 12:00:41 AKST 2008

Seeing Matt's post reminded me that I've been wanting to tell you guys about my paint experience. For those who don't remember, I asked about a catalyst that was compatible with Concept a couple of weeks back and Matt mentioned something about a line of paints from PPG called Omni.
Well, being a person who doesn't like waiting for stuff to come in the mail, I decided to try to find some. It took some doing, but ultimately I was able to locate a shop that carried the line and requested the smallest quantity available. Matt had said that it ws available in 4 oz. quantities, but this guy never heard of that so I had to settle for a pint.
He gave me a sheet with the mix ratio and I was somewhat surprised to find it was 8:1. He also told me that Concept would dry all by itself with  no catalyst needed, but you would have to wait a couple of days.Like I said, I'm not a waiter so I determined to use the accelerant.
Well, when I got the stuff home and decided to read the label a rather large panic lump arose in my throat. I have always understood Concept to be a Urethane based product, but the lable on the container stated "for Acrylic Enamel", Caaahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Well, after my adrenaline slowed to a few gallons per second I decided that I would test the stuff on an old piece of Aluminum sheet that I had laying around so the next morning I dug it out and cleaned it off with some thinner and painted it with some yellow concept.
About 20 minutes later I went back and gingerly fingered the edges and to my surprise the stuff was dry. It wasn't even producing finger prints. Wow !, shocko ! It also wasn't all that warm in my workroom. "Hmmmm, this is going to need additional testing".  The additional testing turned out to be on the plane.
My paint booth is in my unheated cellar and the temperature down there all 4 days last week was 46 degrees and I sprayed all 4 days. Every time, the paint was dry before I finished cleaning the spray equipment.
My left-over paint is about 5 years old and had thickened substantially so I had to use almost 50 % retarder to get the spray pattern I wanted, but with the extra retarder the gloss was even better.
Today I sprayed the canopy with Silver (Aluminum) and the temp was 42 degrees and no matter how wet I tried to spray, there was no mettallic migration or runs of any kind and the stuff still dried just as quickly and with excellent gloss.
I've used tons of DU-5 in the past and I can't knock it, but I really like the way this stuff handles. It cost me $23 and I don't think it's going to have any kind of shelf life (they tell you to use it within 14 days of opening) , but the end results, to me, have been worth it in spite of the fact that I'm probably going to throw 15 0unces away.
It's called Omni MH-101.
Just and FYI,
Georgie