[NSRCA-discussion] Electric F3a Batteries

Dave DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 20:43:12 AKST 2008

Don,

Some basics -

10s1p 5000 = 10 cell battery pack configured with 10 cells in series
(increases voltage) and capacity of 5000 mah (peak voltage would 42 volts,
for lipos).

10s2p 5000 = 20 cell battery pack configured with groups of 2 cells in
parallel (increases capacity) and 10 groups of 2 in series.  Same capacity
and voltage (using 20 smaller cells of 2500 mah capacity each).

The vast majority of F3A planes are using 10s configurations (for maximum
allowable voltage of 42).  Capacity ranges anywhere from about 3850 to 5300
mah, and this is done with 1p, 2p, 3p, and 4p configurations.  Given equal
power levels and flight times, larger capacity packs will provide more
consistent power through the flight and have much longer cycle longevity.
Many time guys will use 2 5s1p5000 packs to fly F3A - they will plug the
packs into the controller in series, so the controller is "seeing" 10s1p
5000.

C on the controller is short for Cells (C), and when paired with a number,
it is indicating how many cells in series that the controller can handle.

C on the batteries is short for Capacity, and when paired with a number,
generally refers to the rate at which a battery can be charged or
discharged.  A 5000 mah battery rated at 1C charge and 10C discharge could
be charged at a maximum rate of 5000 mah (5 amps) and discharged at a
maximum rate of 50,000 mah (50 amps).  I won't even go into various
discharge ratings - such as average, continuous, peak, burst, etc.  Suffice
to say the lower the discharge rate, the more cycles the pack will likely
see.  Most F3A setups are going to see between 12 and 18C peak current (60
to 90 amps for 5000 mah capacity packs) with average current in flight of
around 6 to 8C (30 to 40 amps).

There is a ton of info on the various forums on RCU, RCGroups, etc.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

  _____