[NSRCA-discussion] Beginner advice

John Konneker jlkonn at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 30 04:08:40 AKDT 2008

I hope this isn't too far off subject but I would like to ask for the list's advice and recommendations.
Some of you in D5 have met my youngest (11 yrs) daughter Elizabeth.  Up until now she has told
me she has no interest in learning to fly.  In the last week or so she seems to be showing a slight interest.
She has started talking about wanting to "build" a plane with me.  I don't think I can hold her interest
with a full blown kit construction, especially with winter here in Iowa just around the corner and the chances of having
it done before it turns too cold slim.  Also, I don't think I want to try to get her interested with some fire breathing
glow plane that may intimidate her.  What about an electric sailplane?  Anyone have any suggestions along
those lines?  Anyone been thru this before with one of their kids?  Nothing would make me happier than if she took
up the hobby but I realize I need to go very slow and let her get in to it at her own pace.
Thanks for any ideas!
JLK