[NSRCA-discussion] wattmeters/whattmeters

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Wed Aug 13 08:21:08 AKDT 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:59:42 -0500
Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net> wrote:

> I sometimes use a Sears clamp-on meter.  More often, I use a Watts Up
>
> meter from BP Hobbies.  The Watts Up is inserted in the line between
> the battery pack and the ESC.  It measures volt/amps/watts, with a
> 100 amp limit.  Street cost is about $50.  I only use it for ground
> testing; it does not stay in the airplane.

I'm a happy user of the Watts Up also and I just wanted to clarify that
while it does have option to hook up a separate battery for data
collection, that is only necessary if you intend on measuring packs less
than 4V.

Here's the manufacturer's page
http://www.rc-cars-planes.com/rc-battery-watt-meter.html

Detailed specs:
http://www.rc-cars-planes.com/watt-meter-specifications.html

The meter is very well made by someone who really seems to understand
R/C and it's intended application.  It's also small and light enough to
do in-flight data acquisition on anything larger than a park flyer.

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com