[NSRCA-discussion] Castle software

Richard Strickland pamrich47 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 13 06:24:11 AKDT 2008

Yes-it's a little more versatile with more options (1) is on the OMS with the A60 and the other is on A Brio with a 5330 F3A.  Since both are recent additions--C50XLs w/Masters up to this point--I, along with many others evidently, are experimenting to find the best set-up--but a couple things: Low timing, 8-15 switching, set end points and backed off to like 70% of full throttle, run an idle.
Since every airframe is going to have its sweet spot on the right combination of this stuff and props; there seems to be a lot of trying involved.

RS

From: anthonyr105 at hotmail.comTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgDate: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:27:59 -0400Subject: [NSRCA-discussion] Castle software

Hi Dave,  You mention the 1.56 software. Has anyone tried the 2.0? Anthony

From: DaveL322 at comcast.netTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgDate: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:39:15 -0400Subject: [NSRCA-discussion] A60-20S RE: FW: OMS on E was > older 2m plane wanted

The A60-20S is about the highest KV practical for pattern (245 KV), but near ideal for running glow props.  Between the V1 and current V2 versions, I’ve probably got about 800 flights.  On 10S, the motor can hit 8000 RPM on an 18.1x10 glow prop.  At the higher RPMs (~7000+), the “E” props don’t seem too happy (amp draw relatively high for the speed and thrust produced).  Run an 18.1x12 and an 18x12E and the difference is pretty dramatic.

18.1x12 @ 7600 RPM is a very good setup (~70 amps in the air).

19x12E (on a strong lipo) will turn 7000 RPM (borderline on buzzy on the ground)……and it will pull some current……amps in low 90s on the ground, low 80s in the air.  With good cooling, motor temps won’t exceed 150F on a 95F day.

With the Castle 85HV and 1.56 software on low timing, you won’t get a screech until about 3400 watts.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org [mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Richard StricklandSent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:13 PMTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgSubject: [NSRCA-discussion] FW: OMS on E was > older 2m plane wanted

This might be of a little interest.. RSThis was purpose built E by Orland last year with long fixed gear as an experiment (OMS stands for Orland McKee Special) with a C50XL Hacker running on 4200s.  He wasn't nuts about the result and traded it off--was then converted to the A60.  That guy wasn't crazy about it either(but I don't think he had it set up right).  Someone was interested in my last IC airplane(an OMS) and bought it--I had found this could be had the night before for not too much more than the other--so I turned around and got it same day--am now totally E.  Had to rework the entire innards to get the balance right with the 5000s--but I think it will be worth it.  I've felt all along that these older designs would be good for E and am fortunate to have come up with this one. Still learning things like you can put too much power to the larger out-runners and they can go a little(OK--a lot) nuts (screech) if not set up properly and there is some experimenting with timing and other stuff that will increase 'milage' without loss of power--of which there is plenty.  Still motors nicely in vertical up at 65-70%. RS

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:26:04 -0700From: mups1953 at yahoo.comTo: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.orgSubject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] OMS on E was > older 2m plane wanted