[NSRCA-discussion] 12X programming Help

Troy Newman troy at troynewman.net
Sun Aug 10 18:29:03 AKDT 2008

Tim,

See a guy goes to the trouble to warn ya. Tries to share the love....and
you gotta still do it your own way...I see how it works now....Now I
have to write a little thing to explain it....If you would have just
listened the first time yadayadayada.

This is a JOKE don't mis-interpret it as anything other than a JOKE.

The balance function is pretty cool but the manual doesn't mention much
about it.

Make sure you are on a D/R that is 100% for now and your Expo is at zero
for now.   Right elevator into the elevator channel and left elevator
into the mated channel. Mine is ch8 because it was on  10X before.

The balance function is a curve mix basically...but it doesn't give you
a graph to reference. You have a middle and then 3 points on each side
of middle. These points are equally spaced. The last one is the end
point stop.

So you need to use move the elevator to the point where the adjustment
happens. I used the little white dots on my gimbals...hold the stick in
that position and dial the % needed.

This is very fine adjustment and the surface only moves a little.

P-N is neutral
P-1 on the screen is on the up side about 2 dots up off center
P-U is almost to the end of the sticks travel at about dot3-4 up off
center
P>1 is the end point.

The right elevator will be the one that adjusts in this setup.

downside of the elevator

P-N is still neutral
P-2 is 2 dots down off center
P-D is near full down elevator 3-4dots off center
P>D is full down elevator.

So with your pointers on the elevators...you setup the linkage and
travel adjust to get them as absolutely close as possible.

Doing that say the right is ahead slightly at the first curve
point....so you would use a "minus" number to reduce its "high value of
travel." Hold the stick in the position about 2 dots and use the scroll
bar to tweak it. Then release the stick to Neutral and  pull or push
through that point on the curve again and see if the "servo is
balanced." play with it some more once you get the travel paired up from
center to about the 3rd dot then go to the next value and adjust at the
3rd dot.

A good setup would keep the center value at zero P-N as you setup your
neutrals and linkages properly to begin with use of subtrim and good
geometry. Also a good setup would have the end points P>U and P>D on the
screen as zero also...you set your travel adjust for these values. The
values you re setting are to reduce or increase the one surface at the
given point....Its not a control throw....it adds or subtracts the
percentage to the throw at that point.

With a good setup you will be adjusting the 4 intermediate points on the
curve.

NOTE: when you are in a D/R that is too low I think it will affect when
you get into each point. Meaning the curve is based on the servos
travel....not its stick movement. So is the servo is not moving 100% or
expo is affecting the output of the servo it will change where on the
stick the point occurs. So at 100% travel and 100% D/R the dot alignment
would be correct or very close to mine. If you were on low rate of 60%
and then it has expo in it too you might not ever hit the upper middle
points. .....The function works like an ATV and is independent of stick
position. So a function like dual rates or expo curves will affect the
output of the servo and the spacing of the curve points. If you set it
all up properly at 100% movement and 0% expo...Once you have it dialed
in then put your expos back into it and adjust your rates and the
elevators will still track. The expo and low rates just make it hard to
find the inflection points where the values actually adjust  on the
output of the servo not the travel of the stick. You can still find the
points but they are tougher to locate when moving the stick on a Flight
mode that has say 60% travel. I was never able to get more than the
first point on the curve.....it just didn't adjust but putting it at
100% DR and )% expo  for the travel balancing setup up it works very
well.  This is really a early on setup function....and should be done
when setting up linkages, subtrims and travel adjust values. This work
usually occurs before any rates or expos are setup.

Once you realize what is going on it works really slick. The roller bar
allows for very fine tuning....I would say 10% movement on the balance
screen is worth about 2% travel adjustment...Its very fine tuning for
sure.

Troy