[NSRCA-discussion] YS 170 Break in Procedure

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Mon Apr 7 08:17:43 AKDT 2008

Colin,

>From new out of the box. Open the cam gear cover and put a couple drops of oil in there. This will ensure that the cam has lube on the first run. Don't use too much or too thick of an oil as it will be difficult to start. You just want to have a little lube so its not dry. My latest engine was good on the lube for the Cam out of the box. Just check it...The 170's have not been sitting around too long.

Start it up, in the model no cowl on so you can see stuff and it and it won't be bangin into the cowling.

Run it at 4000rpm this is a "high Idle" for about 1-2 tanks of fuel...
Don't worry to much about tweaking needle valves or anything...just try to run it only at 4000rpm

I do this in 4-5 minute segments at a time.  Let it cool completely in between. It usually will be about 3-4 sessions on a full 20oz tank. This can be done on the model, just leave the cowl off so it doesn't bounce into it.

Then after you have about (3-4) 5min runs at 4000rpm...you can  Set the top end and start to dial it in....It will be pretty easy.

The 17-12 is a good prop for a light load and good power. Its gets loud at the rpm the 170 will pull it.

The 17-12W is a good option as are the 16.5-13W and some of the 18.1's. Another really excellent prop is the 17-13. Very good and good on sound as well.

Troy Newman