[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane angle of attack

chris moon cjm767driver at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 30 13:01:25 AKDT 2007

The optimum cruise angle of attack for jetliners is somewhere between

2.5 and 5 degrees nose up.  Usually closer to 2.5 or 3 degrees for an

econ cruise.  As fuel burns off and the gross weight goes down, the

airplane will need a lower  angle of attack to maintain flight which

will take us away from our optimum  angle (lower).  So, we will either

climb to where the air is "thinner" and require a higher aoa (angle of

attack) to get us back to the 2.5 or 3 degrees or, slow down and

maintain the lower altitude thus requiring us to increase the aoa back

to optimum.  The answer to your question is yes, a jetliner flies at a

nose high aoa in cruise.  Lift from the fuselage would probably be

negligible other than "impact" lift - the force of the relative wind

against the raised fuselage bottom.

Chris