[NSRCA-discussion] Mid-Air discussion

chris moon cjm767driver at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:15:15 AKDT 2007

At the one club I fly at in Chicago there could be as many as a dozen

pattern guys out at any time.  We will routinely fly the "corners" which

is exactly as you guys are describing with 2 offset flight lines.  Works

fine for us, but it really depends on the field.  Many places that I

have been to simply won't accommodate this setup.  The idea of a mid-air

judge  might  sound appealing until you are the one picked to watch

things for hours in the hot sun.  And given the speed and distance away,

a mid-air "warning" is just as likely to cause one as it is to prevent

one. Can we really discern which is slightly higher as they approach?

Also, can you imagine what the reaction will be from someone who is

having a great flight and has to bail out and start over where he left

off and probably is now shaken and lost his concentration?  When I call

for someone, I will update the pilot on the other plane's position as

far as who is inside or outside of the other but only if they are close

to the same line.  I have lost 3-4 planes over the years to mid-airs but

honestly can't see a practical way out of the way we do things now

unless the field will accommodate offset lines, but even then it is very

tough to fly a line not parallel to the runway.

Flying a single line will never work as most people don't see the value

in driving 4-8 hrs and paying for 1-2 hotel rooms in order to get in 3-4

flights in a weekend.

Chris

John Johnson wrote:

> [...]

> never seen a midair, just wait, you're now cursed. District 6 has had

> its fair share of them. Also, it seems every person who brings up a

> good idea has it immediately shot down by the naysayers. Come one

> guys, let's just try to look at this together and come up with a

> solution that isn't too imposing. I liked the idea of the CD with a

> whip out there running one line with one plane taking off while the

> other is preparing for landing. BUT, as soon as that was brought up a

> friend told me if you fly only one line, you'll only be able to fly 4

> rounds and he won't waste his time going to a tournament. Another says

> the degree offset won't work. I don't know about that since we've

> never seen it in action. At least, let's give these ideas a try it at

> a couple of contests and rule out the ones that don't work or are too

> time consuming.

> I have a personal reason for this. I'm supposed to be getting my

> Integral from Jason in the next couple of weeks and don't want to see

> it taken out either.

> Thanks,

> John S. Johnson

> Lubbock, TX

>> From: mwickizer at msn.com

>> To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org

>> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:31:23 -0500

>> Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Mid-Air discussion

>> You can add a Beryll and an Insight from this year to that list. We

> seem to

>> have more than our share of mid-airs in D6.

>>>From: "Dr. Mike Harrison"

>>>Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Mid-Air discussion

>>>Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:27:00 -0500

>>>Keith,

>>>I think the 10 degree offset has merit. I believe most fields can

>>>accommodate that. Make that 10'('-short for degree) for each pilot

> from

>>>runway, effecting a net 20' change. The centerline would be offset 10'

>>>each also.

>>>Also, another help is to separate the lines farther so that center

>>>manuevers do not overlap.

>>>It is easy enough for the CD at some contest somewhere to try. I would

>>>encourage it. I don't know of any contests we(you and I) have been

> to that

>>>this could not be implimented. I can think of 4 midairs that would

> have

>>>been avoided if this system were in place. You-2 midairs, Don

> Ramsey -1,

>>>Glen Watson-1. That is a loss in the last 3 years of 7 airplanes-

> about

>>>$14,000.

>>>I am all for this concept.

>>>Lets try it a t Crowley.

>>>Mike

>>>ps as far as previous comments that midairs are rare and a

> necessity of the

>>>sport, I disagree. They are all too common, they effect quality of

> flying,

>>>they are a stupid loss, and there has to be a reasonable way to

>>> Keith

>>> Regards,

>>> --

>>> Vicente "Vince" Bortone