[NSRCA-discussion] What Weight Airplane?

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Wed Sep 26 06:41:51 AKDT 2007

John - You are going to get as many different answers as there are

It depends on how you want to fly.   For doing just takeoffs, some
gentle maneuvering, with very little vertical, and landing, you can
use 50-100 watts per pound of total airplane weight.  For more
aggressive maneuvering, you'll need 100-150 watts per pound.  For
extreme 3D flying. you'll need 150-225 watts per pound.  None of
these numbers answer your question.

Average watts equals average source volts times average current.  The
average current divided into the pack's mah rating will tell you
about how long you can expect to fly.  The answer still isn't here.

Let's try an example.  Suppose you assume the airplane will weigh two
pounds.  Flying the way I think you want to fly, your airplane should
use about 250 watts (2 pounds times 125 watts per pound).  With a 3S
pack, your average voltage will be just under 12 volts.  Since power
is amperes times volts, your motor will consume about 20 amperes.
With a 2100 mah pack (2.1 ampere-hour) consuming an average of 20
amperes. you flight time would be about 6 minutes (2.100 ampere-hour
divided by 20 amperes then times 60 minutes per hour).  Is that long
enough?  If not, the airplane weight is too large for that pack for
fairly aggressive maneuvering.  If you settle for less aggressive
maneuvering, the flight time will increase for that weight.

Now, you can start out assuming that you want to fly for a certain
number of minutes and work the equations in reverse to determine the
required weight of the airplane for your kind of flying, but, as I
used to say to my students, this is left as an exercise.

Ron Van Putte